BMW PT Info Portal
BMW Portugal was using two individual tools to communicate internally with its employees (Intranet) and externally with its dealerships’ network (Extranet). Both these tools were developed on Sharepoint 2007, version which Microsoft stopped supporting, reinforcing the necessity of an upgrade. Additionally, these applications had an outdated UI, the users had some difficulties navigating, finding and sharing documents and they were not accessible via mobile. Therefore, a simple upgrade would not be enough to meet BMW Portugal’s needs.
In the first month, the Info Portal had:
- Design a Portal directed for two groups of users: BMW Portugal and dealerships’ employees.
- Improve access to information.
- Expedite and optimize publishing processes.
- Raise the organizational culture and values of BMW Portugal.
- Responsive design to optimize its use in multiple devices.
- Assure the migration of thousands of documents.
- Define a vision and design a roadmap for BMW Portal.
Using a Design Thinking approach, through interviews and workshops with multiple BMW Portugal user groups, Truewind produced the Backlog for the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) and defined a Roadmap for the BMW Portal.
The solution was implemented and delivered on SharePoint 2016. The most important capabilities delivered on the MVP were:
- All visible content (documents, news, etc.) depends on the users’ profile (internal vs external, department or role, etc).
- A comprehensive searching and navigation mechanism based on document metadata.
- Integration with the BMW Portugal Access Management Tool.
- User area with notifications for unread documents and a list of favorites.
- Publications’ workflow approval;
- BMW employees and dealerships’ directory.
- A gateway to multiple applications within the company.
The Info Portal revolutionized the way BMW communicates internally and externally with its employees and dealerships, with a new effective method of sharing information. The information is now uniformed and easily accessible by everyone entitled, reducing the errors and loss of information that could affect the business directly.
Internal and External Communication is the key to success. The Info Portal brought a new dimension in our communication process. In a natural way users adopted this solution effortlessly and improved their productivity, enabling the embracing of more challenges.
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, commonly referred to as BMW, is a German multinational company that produces automobiles and motorcycles. The company was founded in 1916 as a manufacturer of aircraft engines, which it produced from 1917 until 1918 and again from 1933 to 1945. BMW Portugal is currently located at Lagoas Park in Porto Salvo.